Monday, May 14, 2007

First Day on the Job

Sorry I got this up a little late, but here it is:
Today was the first day on the job, and it went really well. Myself and four other interns had orientation. Two of the other interns go to UCONN, one goes to Purdue, and one goes to some school in Mass. They were a little quite, so I had to liven things up and get some conversation going, and after we all relaxed we seemed to get along just fine. I had to watch three training videos, with the last one testing my ability to keep my eyes open, but I made it out alive. Next we had lunch, and then my mentor came and picked me up so we could head over to the Research and Development (R&D) side of things. My mentors name is Eric, and he seems to be late twenties and is a really cool guy. We got along really well, and he introduced me to many of the people that I will be working with. After that I meet my advisor, or boss if you will, Brian. He explained what I will be doing, and I will be working on their polyurethane foam called Poron. The final application will be for sports, I am not really sure how much I am allowed to say about it, but it is a great project for me and I can't wait to dive in and learn all about it.

I have my own cubicle with a computer in it, its pretty fancy stuff for an intern. Tomorrow should be a good day with a meeting with my research "team" if you will in the morning, and a safety meeting in the afternoon. Between those two things I will be reading through the three inch thick pile of papers that Brian gave me to learn all about this particular type of foam.

The dress code is business casual, but it seems that it is pretty lax, as Eric was wearing jeans. I also kinda get to work on "flex time." This means that I can come in any time between 7:00 and 8:00, and take either an hour or half hour lunch, and then leave as soon I want as long as I have worked a full 8 hours. This should be good for me, and I plan on getting on most days at 7:30, then a half hour lunch, then leave around 4:00, this should give enought time to enjoy the evenings.

Then I got home and went for a bike ride, I tried riding to Massachusetts and almost made it, but it stared getting dark so I had to come back home. The ride was very hilly, almost mountain style riding, and was very scenic. I got back home and Will and I made dinner again, and had some beer from a microbrew out here, called dirty penny ale. It was pretty good, not as good as the Jolly Pumpkin beer that I brought from Michigan, but good none the less.

Straight from work tomorrow I will be heading over to a group mountain bike ride, with the same folks that I rode with on Sunday. I am looking forward to this, but I am a little worried about changing from my nice dress clothes into cycling gear in a dusty parking lot, just no one tell my Mom and everything should be ok :).

Oh yeah, with all this typing I am doing, you guys should add comments too. It will keep my writing and give you a chance to say hello to me through this blog too!!!

4 comments:

catman said...

sounds like a great first day.
dont get caught with your pants down in the lot on your second day.
How about some pictures of the trails ?
have a great second day!

catman said...

mike Dave from cycletherapy wanted you to get a hold of him. His email is serenitycycling@gmail.com

Mike said...

Yeah, I need to get some photos of the trails up, I just need to get better and riding, and worse at falling so i feel safe carring the camera around. But use your imagination, big rocks, big hills, leads to big thrills, and apparently the ability to rhyme.

catman said...

hey mike stay out of the rain.