Monday, June 18, 2007

Maine Part I

Hey All,
Mom, Dad, and Kelly made the trip over to see me here in Connecticut this past Thursday, and this weekend we went up to the beautiful coast of Maine, in the town of York. I don't have much time to discuss it all right now, because I still need to catch up on sleep from the exciting weekend, but I will lay down some quick facts to keep everyone wanting more, which is coming in a few days once everything settles down here.

So here are the 4 quick things I learned in Maine:
1) Every restaurant serves lobster, often in more than one form. For instance you have whole lobsters, lobster rolls, lobster stew, etc. etc.
2) The tides are very interesting, one minute all the boats are sitting on a sand bar, the next minute they are floating.
3) The word "wicked" is used frequently. For example, a midwestener would use the phrase "the plate is very hot," but out here in Main it is proper to say "the plate is wicked hot."
4) To my dads disapointment there is no such beer as Miller Genuine Draft out here. Instead, Sam Adams is the beer of choice. Not that this is a bad thing, because I must say the Sam Adams Summer brew, is now one of my favorites, not that I like MGD anyways, but either way, Sams Summer is good on the beach.

Here is a quick pic. that captures the spirit of Maine (or at least for my Mom it does, she loves lighthouses as many of you know if you have been to the cottage):
This is the Nubble lighthouse that was 1 mile away from out hotel, it is truly beautiful and a very important symbol for Maine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me! Blogging during your summer internship? What a concept. Actually I did not know about your blogging ability until only recently or I would have blogged your blog earlier. It is a very cool way to stay in touch. To think I actually used to send letters home from college. Sounds like you are having a great time. We missed you at Jimmy's graduation. Keep up the good work.

Uncle Brian

By the way Denim on Demin was only cool in the early 70's but, it required bell bottoms and no matter what your dad says MGD is just colored water.

Anonymous said...

Mike, I've been reading your blog and I must say it's very cool. Great stuff! I have to agree with Uncle Brian, MGD is just colored water, however, MGD 'light' is more like recycled MGD (if you know what I mean...). Here's hoping that your Dad might have to sample enough real beer on this trip to refine his palate. Also, you might want to ask him how he liked Provincetown, MA, sounds like he had an opportunity to make some really good friends there.
Can't wait to read about your next adventure. We're counting the days before we make our trek out to the coast and see you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Mike great blog. I think that i really got the language thing down by the end of the trip. Unlike the video where I was intentionally mixing the new england drawl with a little southern flair.
As for your uncle's comments about MGD I can only say that people who have truly great taste our often ostracized by those who suffer from a lack of it.
Great vacation Mike you are lucky to have the opportunity to live in that part of the country.
And if anyone wants to know there were a lot of people who wanted to be my close and very personal friend in Provincetown but they seemed to back off a little when I locked myself in the cahr.

Mike said...

Nice use of the word cahr dad.