Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Last One...

This is it folks, the last blog entry that will be made into this collection. I would just like to give a brief summary of what happened to me during this terrific summer:
1) I had my first experience as a working engineer. I learned a lot, had tons of fun, and just really realized that I love what I do, and I can't wait to see where my career will take me.
2) I had my first real long time away from home. I spent the entire summer 800 miles from where I call home, and the big adjustment worked out just fine. I did not really seem to get lonely, because everytime I turned around someone was here to visit me!
3) I also have the greatest family and friends. It was great having people come out to visit me, first it was my friends Nick and Jeff, where we rode some bikes and went to New York City. Next I had my Dad, Mom, and sister out here, where we traveled to Maine and spent an awesome weekend on the shore. Next was my girlfriend Caroline, who came out and we went and saw New Port, RI and Salem, MA. After that was my Aunt Mary, Uncle Rene, Julian and Cameron, who came out and we spent a weekend on "The Cod," and made the trip all the way to the tip of the Cape. Then there was my friend Pete who I saw a few times, but we went and climbed Mt. Washington, that was tiring!
4)Besides for all of the visiting, it seems that people got a great deal out of this blog. I would say that my grandparents enjoyed it the most, any time I talked to any of them they were always talking about my latest adventures from my blog (and Grandpa even figured out how to post comments!). I also spent hours and hours on the phone, keeping up with the family and friends, always something happening that I like to hear about it.
5) I got to race and ride bikes in a whole new place. I enjoyed the terrain very much on both my mountain and road bike, I also really enjoyed riding the trails with people from back home, Jeff and Nick had fun and my Dad and I had a great ride around the trail by my house. Competing at Nationals was a great experience, and really is pushing me to my limits, and will hopefully inspire me to compete at the professional level someday.
6) I got to eat lobstah like I never have before. I tried to remember exactly how many I ate, but I can't seem to get them all, lets just say it was more than enough for two people! I also got used to Sam Adams Beer, there always seemed to lots of that around the east coast, so now I enjoy a "Sams" here and there.

Those where just some of my closing thoughts about my summer. Although I hope that I will never forget this summer, I will unfortunately slowly lose some of the details, but I really will remember just how great it was, and how everyone supported me and helped me to be my best, just like you always have, I can never thank you enough. I can't write down everything down, but I have to say, getting the camera was a great idea, my Mom always knows best. They always say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I took many many pictures this summer, but I have to saw this one was one of my favorites, and it was taken on the last day of my trip:

Yes, that is the welcome sign that I took a picture of on my drive home. I had a great adventure, and I am very glad that I took the opportunity, but there is no place like home, and there is no place I would rather be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, you outdid yourself. That was a great windup to a very interesting story. You even got a little pathos and sentiment toward the end -- could it be that you missed your calling as a romance author? Have you been reading "Danielle Steele" ?
You took us all on a great trip and we enjoyed sharing your adventure almost as much as you enjoyed experiencing it. Thanks for the ride!!
Love, Grandpa and Grandma

Anonymous said...

Once again, you had me in tears! I finally got to read the last blog today as we finally got our new computer up and running. Your summer was not only a great experience for you but for all of us too! Looking forward to what you might have up your sleeve for a future blog.
XOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are such a sap! Just kidding. Way to go, Mike. It was fun sharing your summer with you this year. Where we going next year??????
Love, Aunt Mary, Uncle René, Julian and Cam