Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I drummed again...

Today Derek and I played drums, it was awesome. I don't know what it was, but as I was teaching Derek it felt like three years ago when I was instructing regularly. I was able to just pick it back up, and it really felt natural.

I taught him for about an hour, then I played by myself for about 10 minutes or so. It was weird, I remembered a lot of my old exercises and songs. It was like a time machine, I just traveled three years back, when drumming was my life, when that is pretty much all I did. Its weird how I sort of lost that identity, I mean, I used to define myself as a drummer. Over the past three years that has image has sorta faded. I guess that is how things go, as you grow up you change, but at least for me, I was sorta able to morph back into my formal self and play drums like the old days.

It was a great feeling, I was able to just let loose and notes were just coming from my hands, I mean, it was not as controlled or as fast as it used to be, but my mind just rewinded a little bit and I totally at home on the drum. Its just really weired to think about how I just used to play so so much, and now I never play.

Something happened when I picked up those sticks and started playing, something great, I just felt so free, and it was just like I was 17 years old, listening to a metronome that had been beating for hours, the sun beating down on my back, and me running all over a football field with my best friends, it was the place where we could have lived forever, and we were totally lost in music, and I guess that will never go away for me, and I could not be happier about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

How great to reminisce - that sure was a great time for you and it is fun to revisit it! All the great memories and of course all the hard work. Which is just another example of your great determination.

Best of luck this weekend at Nationals! I know you have been working hard yet again :)

xoxoxoxoxxo